Tuesday, May 23, 2006

The stress of publishing deadlines.

I have just replied to the peer reviewed journal editor regarding some queries in my papers.

This is the second reply within a week, and each query came with a tight deadline. 48 hours or 24 hours. Taking into account the time zone, I only have a few hours to read the mail, and reply to them each time.

As anyone who has dealt with the annoyance (someone is criticising your "baby"), and the stress (you better rectifiy the problems, 'cos the whole world is gonna read it), and the destruction of self confidence (just as you get so happy that your work is accepted, and started to feel that your rubbish does make some sense) would tell you, replying to journals is something that you hate to do, but must do so with the highest degree of priority.

So what is so special about it??

I have fibro-fogs- which will look like "carelessness". Missing anotation here, spelling mistakes there, missing word is a sentence, and not to mention- spelling mistakes!!! Shouldnt all these be solved with using a word processor? You bet. It would be solved if you do not have these fogs that prevent you from seeing the *GLARING* mistakes.

24 hours? 48 hours reply??
Well, that is a lottery. At the time being, I am ok most of them time. But it it comes when I am feeling as fogged a weather warning morning, how am I to respond coherently?? That happened for the thankfully 48 hour deadline. I was so stressed when I received it, as I was really fatigued that day.

So... Am I fit to work?
Yes and no. Yes, if I have someone who could read through my stuff when I am unwell. If I have the flexibility to organise my work. No, if I am in one of those tight deadline environment, and the boss wants everything done yesterday {that describes most post PhD jobs, isnt it??}.

Technorati Tags:
, , , ,

No comments: